Who are we?
Lune Valley Ocean Wavers is a very popular Square Dance club based in the North West of England near Lancaster (map). We dance Social Square Dance ( SSD ) Mainstream (MS) and Plus (P) programmes and have an active teaching programme from beginners to Plus.
When do we meet?
We meet twice weekly for teaching and dancing, on
- Mondays: Beginners & Social
Square Dancing (SSD)
- Fridays: Teach Mainstream &
Teach Plus & Plus (P).
We also have Saturday night dances for mixed or single programmes
It keeps you fit
Perfect regular exercise to keep you in shape. A low impact activity requiring constant movement and directional changes. A fun way to burn off the calories - during an hour of dancing you can use between 400 and 800 calories.
During an evening's dance you are guaranteed to fulfil a large chunk of your 10,000 steps target for the day.
- The club will be restarting for all previous club members on Monday 26th July for SSD at the Centre @ Halton 7.30pm (assuming Covid lockdown had been lifted)
- Friday night dancing for experienced mainstream and plus dancers will restart on Friday 5th August 7.30pm at the Victoria Institute Caton (assuming Covid lockdown had been lifted)
- Hopefully, for only a short period there will be no tea, coffee or biscuits. Please bring your own refreshments also own cup.
Enjoy dancing from the first night onwards. It brings people together for fun and friendship. We laugh a lot, the best medicine of all.
It's a mental challenge
- It's very easy to pick up the basic moves and you are learning all the time. Reacting quickly to the caller keeps you mentally on your toes.
- With regular attendance your dancing will become almost second nature like walking or running. There is no obligation to move to a higher programme, but by invitation, you can, should you wish to continue to learn more.
It's for everyone
Whether you are single or a couple, it doesn't matter and it's suitable for ages 14 to 80.
It's good music
We dance to a whole range of music from pop to all-time favourites. Listen to good singing at the same time
Four couples form a square and dance a pattern of moves sung by the caller. We depend on each other to keep the dance moving.
The club organises some social events. We sometimes hold fundraising events to raise money for charities.
--------------------------------Ocean Wavers Spring Dance April 2019
A video clip is here
Recruitment is important to us. From this year, as we are now teaching Social Square Dancing and should be able to start beginners 2 or 3 times a year, which is far better than once in 2 years as previously.
We will be recruiting new dancers to join our SSD teaching programme taking 12-16 weeks. The first session will be a free taster session.
Our commitment to new dancers is to teach them all the moves in SSD programme in 12-16weeks and to provide fun and enjoyable dancing evenings whilst they meet up with old and new friends. To become proficient and confident dancers will take more practice.
SOCIAL SQUARE DANCING BEGINNERS CLASSES START:
MONDAY 6TH SEPTEMBER 2021 7.30-10pm at The Centre @ Halton LA2 6NB
Monday 6th Sept is a FREE taster session, followed by 12-16 teaching sessions at £4.00 weekly.
- New dancers, please try not to be absent during the 12-16 weeks tuition period if at all possible.
- By September we hope that we will be able to offer Tea, Coffee and Biscuits again. Something we were not able to do when we reopened after the July lockdown, Please be aware that you may have to bring your own refreshments. Always bring your own cup anyway, it saves time not having to wash it up.